PUBLIC HEALTH BENEFITS
- Residents will have better access to local, affordable, nutrient-rich produce; racial and economic disparities in food access will improve.
- Schools receiving City Grower’s produce will help curb the obesity problem and improve nutrition for students.
- Institutional food services (including schools and hospitals), local restaurants, and other food retailers will have increased access to local, organic, less-traveled (fresher) produce.
Creates Jobs in the Inner City
- “Green-collar jobs” will be created for local residents near the farms, increasing economic stability.
- City Growers’ farmers will receive assistance with land remediation, growing, selling, and transporting their produce.
Promotes Environmental Sustainability
- Environmental benefits will be realized through sustainable, manual farming practices and carbon neutral transportation (e.g. bike transport).
- Neighborhoods burdened with environmental hazards will contain oases of greenery and healthy, remediated soil.
- Areas impacted by crime will become centers of productive, interactive activities.